I know not everyone reads these emails, so I will sum up here at the top. I will put lots of detail below, which you can read at your leisure.
- Badge pickup hours are 8 AM to 8 PM Thursday through Saturday, and 8 AM to noon on Sunday. You need a photo ID to get your badge, unless you bought it from someone, in which case you need an email from them authorizing the transfer.
- Door Prizes are changing this year – you will have a choice of largeprizes to win, and will drop your name in the appropriate bin for the one you want to win. See below for details.
- Event signups are still open and some still have room – go to Tabletop Events and check them out.
- Please come and playtest some of the games for the Game Design Contest on Friday the 17th from 10 AM to 2 PM! It’s gonna be rad!
- Don’t check out Play and Win games unless you are playing them. We will seek out games not being played, take them from you, and return them to the library.
- Don’t take Play and Win games off-property.
- We mean it on this Play and Win stuff – if you cart the games off or sit on them for an excessive amount of time, we reserve the right to void your entries.
- There will be food trucks at Geekway, and also some new food options for your dining pleasure
- We are PUMPED for Geekway 2019 and can’t wait to see you!
Badge Pickup Information: Badge pickup will begin at 8 AM on Thursday morning, May 16. Badge pickup will be right in the front hallway of the convention center. We will have six registration lines, sorted by last name. Geek Guides will be on hand to help you organize and get sorted. When you arrive at the front of the line, you will need to either show:
- Your photo ID (unless you are under 18, and then a guardian can pick up your badge for you), or
- An email from a person that you bought a badge from (on Facebook for example), plus a $5 printing fee
(If you are over 18 and do not have a photo ID, bring your confirmation email. We really prefer a photo ID, but understand not everyone has one.)
What You Will Get: You will receive a badge, a lanyard, and a copy of the brand new game Among Thieves. You need to wear that badge the whole time you are at Geekway. Geek Guides will get their t-shirts and Meeple Money (to use at the Geekway merch booth). Patrons will get their patron stuff. Those who pre-ordered t-shirts will get theirs. Once you have all your stuff, we will give you the little tear-off on the bottom of your badge (we call it a Geeklet). You will use that as your Door Prize ticket.
What if I want to come but don’t have a badge? Well, we can’t sell you a badge any longer (sad face) but you can buy one from someone who isn’t coming. Post on Facebook to see if you can find someone who can no longer come. When you come to Geekway, you need to show us an email from the person you bought the badge from that authorizes the transfer. You will need to pay us a $5 printing fee, and then we will print you a new badge at registration.
Registration hours are 8 AM to 8 PM daily, except Sunday, which is 8 AM to noon. If you arrive after registration hours, you may stay at Geekway, but please get your badge first thing the next morning. If you haven’t yet picked up your badge, you won’t be able to check out your own games from the Library or Play and Win. Go make a friend! Your name can still be added to plays for Play and Win even before you have your badge.
Door Prizes: We are changing up how we do door prizes this year. Instead of having a bunch of games each day to give away, we have purchased four “Grail Games.” You will be able to put your ticket in the bin that is in front of the game you want. The Grail Games we have chosen are:
- Settlers of Catan Collectors Edition
- War of the Ring Collectors Edition (with the Warriors of Middle Earth expansion as well)
- Giant Azul
- Something else to be named later (sorry, we don’t want to say for sure until we have it in hand)
(note linked images are just representative – you will be able to see our actual copies at Geekway)
Drawings will be on Saturday evening. If you are not present, someone can pick your prize up for you if they have your badge – but we will require them to show your badge and their own photo ID, and take a photo with us (we won’t use the photo for any promotions without your permission – it is just for us to remember who got this stuff) so we know who picked them up.
Event Signups: You can still sign up to host an event, and sign up to play in an event (like Mega Civilization, the Catan Big Game, Werewolf, Orleans, Pandemic, and more!) Plus, there are new options that have been added, and you might find some cool stuff to do! Please check this out by going to your Tabletop.Events account and clicking “Attend” and then “Events Schedule.”
Game Design Contest: More than twenty games are finalists in this year’s design contest, sponsored by Indie Boards and Cards. Help us choose a winner by playtesting a couple of the games on Friday the 17th from 10 AM to 2 PM. Your feedback is valuable to the designers, and all feedback will be considered as we choose a winner. The winner of the Design Contest will be the free game that is given away at Geekway 2021!
Play and Win Information: We will have about 125 games available for Play and Win, with around 6 copies of each available for checkout. How does it work? Check a game out from the Play and Win library. Then play it (duh). After you are finished playing, return the game to the library. Do not remove these games from the Convention Center and Embassy Suites! Then enter the player names in the Play and Win kiosk in the library. The computers will draw the winners on Saturday night after midnight, and we will post the winners on video screens outside the library (and potentially elsewhere). Please note – if our staff notices a Play and Win game that is checked out but not being played, we will take it from you and return it to the library. Play and Win games want to be played, not tucked under a book bag! We will also aggressively seek out Play and Win games that have been checked out for too long. If you have a game for an excessive amount of time, your entries may be voided!
Food and Food Trucks: One of our more common complaints on the survey is the quality of food at the convention center. We have little control over this, but we did work with the convention center to offer additional options this year:
- Asian Kiosk (protein and a vegetarian entrée and beverages):11am-8pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- Snappy Salads (salads, grab and go sandwiches and beverages): 11am-8pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Compass Café (gourmet sandwiches, salads, coffee drinks): 9am-9pm Thursday-Saturday, and 10am-4pm Sunday
- St. Charles Grill (burgers, chicken tenders, hot dogs, pretzels): 10am-12am Thursday-Saturday, and 10am-2pm Sunday
- Dippin Dots ice cream, lemonade and popcorn stand: 9am-9pm Thursday-Saturday, and 10am-4pm Sunday
Also, we are going to experiment with bringing in food trucks.
- Buzz’s Hawaiian Grill will be present on Friday at dinner time (about 4:30 to 7:30 PM), and on Saturday at lunch (11:00 to 2:00) and dinner (4:30 to 7:30).
- Slice of the Hill will be available on Friday and Saturday at lunch (11:00 to 2:00) and dinner (4:30 to 7:30).
(These times are subject to change)
That’s all for now! See you in a couple of weeks!