Geekway Game Design Contest 2020– Rules and Description
- Only ticketed attendees for Geekway to the West 2020 are eligible to enter the contest.
- Geekway LLC owners / board members and employees of Action Phase Games / Indie Boards and Cards are not eligible to enter. All other Geekway attendees are eligible, including Geek Guides.
- The judges for the contest will be representatives of Geekway, Action Phase Games, Indie Boards and Cards, Stronghold Games, or individuals selected by the same. Winning decisions are non-negotiable and not subject to appeal. The judges may use whatever criteria they like when choosing a winning game.
- By participating, an entrant does not give up his or her rights to the game in question and is not bound to enter into a final contract with anyone. However, all entrants should recognize that Geekway is a public place, and their ideas and prototypes will be seen and played by many attendees. Entrants must recognize that non-disclosure is not possible in this setting.
Entering the Contest
- To enter, a contestant must fill out the this survey by 11:59 PM CST, December 6, 2019: Entrants should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Play time of 90 minutes or less
- No 2-player only games (but 2-4 or 2-6 or whatever is fine).
- Above all, the game should be super fun and unique.
- Approximately 12 entrants will be selected to participate in Round One of the Contest at Geekway
- Round One will take place on Friday, June 12, 2020, at Geekway to the West, from 10 AM to 2 PM.
- During Round One, entrants will set the game up for play. Geekway attendees will be invited to come and demo the game. Attendees will be given a comment sheet to record impressions of the game.
- Demos during Round One should be short – limited to fifteen minutes – to enable attendees to play multiple games during the event.
- The judges will participate in prototype play during Round One and will use their experience, plus comment cards turned in by attendees, to choose four finalists.
- Round Two will take place on Saturday, June 13, 2020, from 10 AM to 2 PM.
- During Round 2, entrants will play the game with judges as well as attendees.
- Game play during Round 2 should be a full game. Entrants should expect to spend about one hour with judges during this round.
- During this round, the game will be judged, but so will the entrant’s ability to work with the publisher team. As such, friendliness and a willingness to accept criticism will be important!
The winners will be selected by the judges. Winning entrants will be announced by Sunday, June 14, 2020, at 12:00 PM. There will be a winner, a first runner up, a second runner up, and a third runner up. All four finalists will receive a prize (chosen by Geekway and likely to be a gift card). The winner will receive a $250 gift card to Miniature Market. Finalists are strongly encouraged to be present.
Additionally, the winner will be offered a contract by Stronghold Games for publication! The winner is not bound to accept the contract, but it is expected that the winner will work with Stronghold Games to reach terms for publication. The plan is that the winning game will be published in time for Geekway to the West 2022, and will be the free game giveaway for the convention (assuming the games are able to be published in a timely manner and reach the convention in time – this is not a promise!)
If the winner refuses the contract, or terms are unable to be reached within a reasonable time, the contract will be offered to the first runner up. If that person refuses, the contract will be offered to the second runner up, and finally the third runner up. If all four refuse, then I suppose there will be no real winner and everyone will be sad, and Geekway will just have to give away bags full of sand lightly moistened by tears at Geekway 2022 instead of board games.